Ever wonder how those Islanders get such long, flowing, beautiful, couldn't-be-shinier-even-if-you-Photoshopped-it hair? The secret is out: it's coconut oil! In the South Pacific, Asia, and the Indian sub-continent, people have been using coconut oil not only as a hair care product, but also in medicine for years.
If you are interested in natural products to add to your hair care routine, coconut oil is something you should try. It is all natural, which is important because some hair products contain chemicals that could be hazardous to not only your hair, but also to your health. Products like hair care oils, shampoos and conditioners, and dandruff relief creams often include coconut oil because it contains the essential proteins that nourish dry, damaged hair. These days, we are in and out of hair salons on a regular basis, always coloring, bleaching, cutting, drying, curling or straightening or washing. All that work to be beautiful really takes a toll on our hair. Luckily, coconut oil provides the intense moisture your hair needs to be frizz-free and shiny enough for you to do a hair product commercial. Plus, it smells fantastic.
Conveniently, it can also help your hair grow. This is joyous news for females everywhere. Regularly massaging the scalp with coconut oil will leave your head dandruff and lice free. And did we mention that it smells fantastic?
There are several common methods of application to the hair, but remember that if you over condition your hair it could look greasy even after you wash the oil out. (To avoid this possibility, don't apply the oil to your roots. Just moisturize the ends of damp or dry hair with a small amount.) It's best to do this full-condition once monthly to maintain healthy hair, or once a week to help nurse your broken strands back to health. It is thick when in pure coconut oil form, so scoop it out and slab it on. If you want to leave it on for a few hours (two seems sufficient) or even over night, you may want to put on a shower cap after rubbing the coconut oil into your hair. Be thorough in your application to help increase luster and help growth, and to smell fantastic.
Coconut oil is said to offer several other health benefits:
- It may help those with dry skin and other skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis, and is used as massage oil.
- When used in cooking, the lauric acid in coconut oil is helpful to those suffering from high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and other various heart problems. It also helps with
- atherosclerosis by reducing the incidence of arterial injury.
- Believe it or not, it can be useful in achieving weight loss. Because it is so easily digested, it assists in healthy functioning of the thyroid and enzymes systems. Additionally, it removes stress on the pancreas, increasing the body's metabolism and thus burning more energy.
- It can improve the digestive system and strengthen the immune system. Coconut oil helps in the absorption of nutrients, and helps in fighting harmful bacteria.
The reason for the above and many other health benefits is due to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid. The antioxidant, antibacterial, antimicrobial, antifungal, and soothing properties are what make coconut oil so valuable. So, we say give it a try your hair will thank you later!